The Royse City Fire Department Explorer Post 882 is designed to give young adults, ages 15-20, an opportunity to learn about the fire service while providing a community service. The Post gives youths the opportunity to explore firefighting and emergency medical services to determine if it is a career they would be interested in pursuing.
Members are able to get a first-hand look at the operations of the fire service and are also given the opportunity to enjoy organized recreational activities, competitive events and community interaction while working in a professional atmosphere. Exploring gives young people the ability to develop organizational and leadership skills, as well as interpersonal relationships.
As members of Royse City Fire Department Explorer Post 882, Explorers are exposed to fire department operations, which include structural firefighting, emergency medical services, hazardous materials, and special rescue operations. The Explorer training program includes instruction in the following areas:
- Basic Fire Fighting
- Public Education
- First Aid
- Fire Prevention
- Fire Department Apparatus and Equipment
Requirements to join the Post are listed below.
- Live and/or go to school in the City of Royse City
- Be at least 15 years of age
- Be no older than 20 years of age
- Be enrolled and attending high school or have graduated from high school
- Have a minimum of “C” average on most recent grade report card
- Accept the obligation to observe the Explorer Code
- Accept the obligation to comply with the Department’s and Post’s policies and procedures
- Have permission from parents or legal guardian to participate in the Explorer Program
- Attend regular Post meetings
The Royse City Fire Department Explorer Post meets on Monday nights at the Royse City Fire Station on the first, second and fourth Monday of the month. Meetings are sometimes scheduled for different times and locations, but notification is always made in advance.