Taking Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Course
In accordance with the CCP 45.051, once a year you may dispose of one moving violation by means of completing a driving safety course. You must meet the following requirements:
- You cannot exceed 25 or more miles per hour over the speed limit
- You must not have used this option within one year immediately preceding the date of the violation.
- You are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation
- You must provide a copy of a valid Texas Driver’s License. (CDL License holders are not eligible)
- You must provide a copy of proof of personal financial responsibility (insurance)
*If you choose this option, you may appear in court or mail in a copy of the citation along with a fee of $144.00, or $169.00 if a school zone. You may take a “State Approved” course anywhere in the State of Texas, as long as the course is approved by the Texas Education Agency for the purpose of disposing of moving violations. Driving Safety does not apply to offenses in construction zones when workers are present. You may acquire the required certified copy of your driving record through DPS for $10.00 by mail, or $12.00 online, do not send this fee to the court, it is to be paid to DPS when requesting your certified record. If a plea and request for the Driving Safety option is mailed to the Court, then you shall receive the necessary paperwork back in the mail to obtain your record, and an affidavit that is required to received this option. All appearances must be filed by the Defendant or by counsel whether in person or via mail.